Welcome to Kindling Wild, a homeschool blog where I help you spark interest, ignite a love of nature and grow wonderful humans to set the world ablaze. You are invited to join us on the journey.
My name is Deirdre, nickname Dee, and I’m a wife to Mike, homeschooling mama to four boys, and lifelong reader.
We live in Northern Ontario, Canada, surrounded by woods with our wild garden, big dog, and too many chickens!
I started a Facebook group where we can connect! I am wondering if that is the best platform for this community. It seems like lots of new platforms are popping up lately. If you have an opinion, let me know!
We have dreams of one day having a “real” homestead! For now we serve about 8 other families with their egg needs and that is good enough for me.
I make up my own core homeschool curriculum using Charlotte Mason inspired methods and resources. My main mission in my homeschool is to enkindle in them a love of God through a love of truth, goodness, and beauty.
A few tidbits about me
- I’ve always wanted to write children’s books.
- I grew up in Nova Scotia so I love the ocean!
- My husband and I met on mission. We fell in love in Ireland and I’d love to go back someday!
- I am an enneagram 7 and my Myers-Briggs is ENFP. I neeeeed to socialize!
- I have always hated our long Canadian winters, but since having kids I try my best to get out in nature every day, and that helps!
- My favourite fiction book of all time is Pride and Prejudice (of course!).
- I’m working to become a better gardener.
My husband and I got married in August 2011 and we had our first son the following May! He is now 9 years old and our other boys are 5, 3, and 11 months. All of our children were born at home with the help of lovely midwives. I recently was interviewed by Fiat Podcast (now called Wombs Made Worthy) to talk about my birth stories, so if you like that kind of thing, check it out here.